CAMPUS NEWS: Local students earn academic honors Local News

The college was founded in 1962 and originally named for John C. Calhoun, a South Carolina native and politician, who was the vice president of the United States from 1825 to 1832. The College of Health and Human Development focuses on public health sciences, nursing, education, and parks, recreation and tourism 2021 calc bc frq management. Thomas Green Clemson, the university’s founder, came to the foothills of South Carolina in 1838, when he married Anna Maria Calhoun, daughter of John C. Calhoun, South Carolina statesman and seventh U.S. His decision was largely influenced by the future South Carolina Governor Benjamin Tillman.

During World War II more than 6,500 students were sent overseas in the military. As a result of the Clemson ROTC, around 5,850 were commissioned officers. By the end of the war, 376 Clemson students had been killed in it. Clemson University has announced the President’s List for the spring 2017 semester.

The Tiger paw became the official logo for Clemson University in 1970, in place of the previous tiger logo. The change was inspired by President Robert Edwards to “upgrade the image of the university.” The Tiger Paw logo was introduced at a press conference on July 21, 1970. The paw is now used on all athletic teams and collegiate documents. The tiger paw is also painted on surfaces throughout campus and on highways leading to the campus. Clemson University has five completely student-run media outlets.

CU-ICAR includes a graduate school offering master’s and doctoral degrees in automotive engineering, and programs focused on systems integration. The campus also includes an Information Technology Research Center being developed by BMW. BMW, Microsoft, IBM, Bosch, Timken, JTEKT/Koyo and Michelin are all major corporate partners of CU-ICAR. Private-sector companies that have committed to establishing offices and/or facilities on the campus include the Society of Automotive Engineers and Timken. Plans for the campus also include a full-scale, four-vehicle capacity rolling-road wind tunnel.

Many of the graduate programs are highly ranked nationally, and the school offers several unique interdisciplinary programs. The College of Engineering, Computing and Applied Sciences specializes in engineering as well as the physical sciences such as physics and chemistry. Since the first degrees were granted in 1896, Clemson engineers and scientists have made significant contributions to South Carolina, the nation and the world. Following the resignation of Mell in 1910 former Clemson Tigers football coach Walter Riggs became president of Clemson from 1910 to 1924. The Holtzendorff Hall, originally the Holzendorff YMCA, was built in 1914 designed by Rudolph E. Lee of the first graduating class of Clemson in 1896. In 1915 Riggs Field was dedicated after Walter Riggs and is the Clemson Tigers men’s soccer home field.

Similar Posts